ABM

Thursday, October 17, 2013

October 14, 2013 Letter

Hi Family!
 
I'm not going to lie, I get jealous when I hear everybody speaking about how cold it is at home. I loved the winter. When it gets cold that means basketball season is coming up. Anyway, its sounds liked everything is going well. Its good to hear that the potatoes came up alright. Want to send me some? Just kidding. Happy birthday on the 16th Dad! It sounds like you already celebrated in style. That is good. Julie and Brian thank you for the letter! Claire is a little artist. I love letters! Except they take a long time to get here. I got one from one of my friends at BYU and it took almost a month to get here. That is ok though.
 
Well this week has been very interesting. We got some news the other day that we are getting our car taken away from us. With all the new missionaries coming into the mission there are a lot more areas being opened. So they came by this morning and took our car for another area. We are full time bike now! I am actually kind of excited about that. We get lots of exercise because there are a lot of hills in this area. I am just concerned about my companion Elder Porutu. He is struggling with the bikes. Hopefully we will both get into better shape.
 
I will try to answer a few questions quickly. Mom conference here was for all of the church members and not just the missionaries. We went to the chapel here to watch it. I am pretty sure Elder Porutu grew up in the church. He said there are a ton of members in Tahiti. I am not sure when thanksgiving is here, but if you want to send us a turkey you are more than welcome. The food we eat at our flat is pretty american. We eat a lot of peanut butter and jam sandwiches, noodles, cereal, and surprisingly a lot of nutella. We try to buy a lot of fruit as well. When we go to members homes though they have some special dishes. Chop suiy or something like that is something we eat a lot. It is like really soft brown noodles with chicken or something in it. It is great! The Samoans here like to give us Cocoa Samoa as well. It is kind of like hot chocolate, but not as good. We do get tim tams on special occasions. We don't buy them because we don't have a whole ton of money. Mom I actually play the piano quite often here. I play for district meeting and there was actually a baptism that I was asked to play at as well.
 
Well the work has been up and down this week. A lot of people we have been teaching have been avoiding us lately or have told us that they want to hold of on lessons for a little bit. One even moved without us knowing. So we have been out doing a lot of tracting and GQ'ing again. We have also started receiving a ton of referrals all of a sudden. It is weird because we rarely ever got referrals last transfer. The Lord works in mysterious ways. So hopefully we will be able to replenish our teaching pool soon. There are a couple of girls we are teaching though, Alana and Shana, that have been doing alright. I am not sure how much I told you about them, but they are very happy to have us over. Like I said, their problem is just keeping commitments. The other day we talked about the Word of Wisdom and we set some good goals for both of them. So hopefully that goes well. I know they have felt the Spirit, they just need to act on it.
 
Well we got to listen to conference this weekend over here. You probably already know this, but it was amazing! I love hearing our leaders speak. I definitely took that for granted at home. It seemed to me like there was a lot of talks this time on adversity, the atonement, and missionary work. They are really starting to stress members and missionaries working together. I love it! There was a couple of quotes I really liked though. One of them was "doubt your doubts before you doubt your faith." I am pretty sure President Uchtdorf said it. I love that because Satan is real. He will always try to get us to doubt. We see that with people we teach all the time. But we all know that the power of God is far greater then the power of Satan. He will testify to us if we allow him too. We need to let our faith grow. The other quote I really liked was "God's love for you is there whether you deserve it or not." I think that was Elder Holland quoting President Monson. It is amazing how much our Father in Heaven loves us. He will never leave us. His hand is always stretched out. He sees us make mistakes over and over, but He will never give up on us. That is why we should never give up on others. Everyone is unique. Everyone is a son or daughter of God. We just have to do our best to see others the way the Savior sees them. We have to see others as who they can become.
 
I am so grateful to be born and raised in this Gospel. I am so grateful to all of you. We have such amazing family and friends. We are so blessed because of the Gospel. I love you all so much! I hope you have a great week.
 
Love,
Elder Low


Elder Porutu and I. The "fix red eye" option only seemed to work on one eye. We are in our lava lavas.
 

This was my zone at P-day. I love our zone.

This is at Waitai Ikiua's baptism. Her dad got to baptize her. My companion was Elder Iongi.

Still got it. :)

Elder French and I at the airport.

No comments:

Post a Comment